Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Free Spirited

I'm eating in the food court at Queens Center mall, and noticed a pretty teenage girl who was dressed in a Hip-hop fashion. She had on fitted purple turtle neck with a grey thick waist belt and grey knee high boots. She was leaning up against the wall looking down at the cell phone in her hand. Her jewelry was a layered necklace and big hoop hearings. Minutes later, a punk rock teenage girl approaches the other teen; and plants a big kiss right on her mouth. They hugged so tightly, you can see the enthusiasm in their faces.
I was so shocked! I couldn’t believe what I had just seen. Two girls openly displaying their affection in the middle of a food court at mall. This was considered taboo when I was a teenager. So I thought okay maybe they decided to meet up so they hang out on their own and not feel judged by anyone. Ahh no, I was wrong. A couple of minutes later a group met up with them. It was like this teenage couple was part of this co-ed click. Everyone was in their comfort zone; I was so amazed.
This teenage couple made me realizes how times have changed from when I was there age. They also made me realize that our social customs have changed too. This is why we shouldn’t live our lives by the social norm. What might be bizarre now might be perfectly fine later. But, who's willing to wait for that time to come. I'm willing to feel like that teenage couple who were so happy just to be together holding hands, and hanging out with their friends. Other people's opinions didn't matter. They looked so free spirited, having fun living in that particular moment. So Beautiful.
    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment